I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.

Charles Bukowski

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

MADD Science

Now, I'm no Frank Kelly Rich, but I do get bothered by misleading and often false posters and health messages in schools.  Call me whatever name you choose, but I'm not from the school of thought that believes teaching a kid "Beer = Death" is productive.

Following a brief logic here, if you teach a kid five facts about alcohol, and two of them are "beer kills" and "drinking makes you have unprotected sex," you'll only be harming them.  While both of those statements are nominally true- since you can kill yourself by drinking too much beer, and you will be more likely to have sex when that social lubricant takes away your inhibitions.  However, any kid, no matter how smart or dumb, will figure out by the second or third time they drink, that neither of these things are true every time.  This might lead them to question or ignore all of what they've been taught about drinking.

Now, if you don't agree with that (or couldn't follow), that's fine.  Moving on to the reason I'm talking about this today: I'm no scientist, but I can read.  The article outlining this study never mentions whether there is a causal relationship, only that there is a correlation.  Simply put, there is no stated causal link between seeing a movie with drinking and drinking.  And that's MADD science, not real science.

No comments:

Post a Comment