I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.

Charles Bukowski

Monday, April 26, 2010

Satanic Cocktails

Last week's newest cocktail:  The Satan Cocktail found on cocktaildb.

I was looking for a recipe that used Peychauds and the new bottle of Ouzo I just got, and I wasn't having any luck.  Since I'd never heard of Pastis, I didn't think the Satan would be something I could make.  However, with a name like the Satan Cocktail, how could I not give it a look...

Turns out the suggested substitute for Pastis is "Ouzo or other anise-flavored liqueur"  My immediate response was - how quickly can I whip one of these up?  After trying several less-than-spectacular variations on a cocktail starring Ouzo the night before, I was up for it playing a supporting role instead.

For those not in the know on Ouzo (and I count as one of these) a fun intro would be to watch the Lesbos episode of Three Sheets.  Ouzo is a anise flavored liquor, and if that doesn't help describe it, think absinthe- and if that still doesn't help, think peppermint mixed with christmas trees mixed with jaegermister.  Or something like that.  It's a powerful taste, and hard to shove aside.  Something I would like to really work with, since I had no luck whatsoever coming up with a cocktail that didn't taste like pungent dishwater.

Anyway, to the Satan Cocktail!

I used the handy-dandy glass size meter to increase the proportion in this drink, so it doesn't quite match the basic version in the database.

2 1/4 oz Bourbon
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Ouzo
2 Dashes Peychaud Bitters

Pour all ingredients over ice in a shaker, shake twice, then twirl shaker and strain into cocktail glass (I like Whiskey glasses, but choose your own)

I found it to be a little harsh with just hardy stirring, and like it much better with the shake and twirl.  Your Smilage May Vary.

Coming next in the Satanic Cocktails section:  Diabolo Cocktail

No comments:

Post a Comment