I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.

Charles Bukowski

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sweet Vermouth

It has recently come to my attention that I should have been paying more attention all this time to what brand of vermouth I use.  I have always been an 8:1 Gin martini guy.  Call me extreme, or just say the truth: I love the taste of icy gin.  However, after reading about Noilly Prat Vermouth today over at DrinkBoy.com, I decided to try a bottle of the Noilly Prat Rouge.

Well, I'm convinced.  The Demon Of Destiny I've been drinking since I got that bottle of Absinthe this weekend,  has never tasted this way.   I had three or four with the cheap sweet vermouth, and it isn't the same cocktail.  Repeat: it is not the same cocktail with cheap sweet vermouth.


I was a little skeptical in the liquor store, and ended up not getting any grand marnier, or curaçao, since I wasn't willing to pay that much for a bottle I would us up rather quickly for a liqueur.  I might have to start stockpiling these expensive or hard to find liqueurs.  If switching to a good sweet vermouth makes that much difference, I dare say I might... ...just... ...try... ...a... ...different... Martini... Recipe...

Crazy, but this sweet vermouth has so much more apetizing of a nose and body that it might be worth trying a different martini recipe.  We'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment