I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.

Charles Bukowski

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Orange Liqueurs

Well, I did a little digging after a few gins last night, and discovered that my price range for the orange liqueurs I listed last time weren't accurate - I was pricing the Grand Marnier too low.

According to my sources over at google, the prices are as follows:

Grand Marnier:  $45
Contreau:           $40
Triple Sec:         $Depends, but anywhere from $5-20 for 750ml

That really turns me off to Grand Marnier and Contreau, because I feel like there is no middle ground orange liqueur.  Now I'm all for premium brands, and I drink them when I get the chance, but I seldom if ever have bought a bottle of premium at this point in my life.  I know there will come a time when my liquor shelf (cabinet? closet? larder?) extends to excellent brands of all sorts of liquors and liqueurs, but for now, I wish there were something better than the triple sec freshmen use for their kamikazes, but less expensive than the Hampton's priced Contreau/Marnier.

Last night I was having the bartender (behind the open bar) make a Bombay, Contreau, and seltzer drink that wasn't too bad.  Wasn't great, but if I tweak it, maybe it'll be better than a watered-down French Kiss.  I'll give an update if/when I get around to trying it.  Don't expect me to use Contreau though, not at $1.60 an ounce.  Maybe I'll put that bottle of Dubonnet to some more use though...

No comments:

Post a Comment