I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.

Charles Bukowski

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Homebrew Update - Bottling

Last Monday, I bottled my Irish Red!  It came to exactly 24 22oz bottles - or 4 gallons.  I'd been prepared for the fluid loss, but 1/3 loss?? Must have been that 36 hours I didn't manage to check on it while it was in primary, and when I looked, the airlock had blown off the carboy, and flown almost 15 feet away.  It took me nearly ten minutes just to find the thing.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the bottling process:


Freshly sterilized bottles










The carboy as it losses contents...






Ant's eye view into the bottle









 Halfway there!








All done!  Now the trick is only to wait another two weeks - or a week from the time of this post.  Then it'll be time to drink.

After the preview I had from taking the hydrometer reading, I'm expecting it to be crisply hoppy, but chock-full of sediment.  Not exactly the ideal beer in my estimation.  But it'll be something to build on.  Update next weekend after I've tried a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment