I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.

Charles Bukowski

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Summertime Drinks

Sometime each spring there comes a day where everything idyllic about nature jumps into action.  The 65º heat combines with the returning sun to make for an afternoon that seems to stretch on until the wee hours. 

I have never been good at making drinks for that moment and the moments like it all summer long.  Maybe it's my love for bourbon, and maybe it's my background in White Russians, who knows.  I can't use the bourbon excuse because of the fabled mint julep, so I guess I'll have to go with the milk defense.  Sometime late this spring, just before I went away for the summer on various adventures, I decided that I wouldn't let fall arrive until I'd become at least passable at making frozen cocktails. 

This post isn't about my Daquiris - though they've gotten pretty good, they're still too simple for me to claim they're ready for some choice recipes.  This is about goal setting.  In order to be successful, you have to set goals, and then attempt to reach them.  Set big goals, small goals, and stupid goals.  In this case, I refer not to the self-help shtick, but to bar-tending and cocktail officianadoing. 

While my frozen cocktails are a long way from my top mixing skill, I can now put together a successful margarita, daiquiri, and frozen cooler using pretty much any spirit/fruit base.  It won't be the most inventive or nameable concoction, but it will be cold, delicious, and alcoholic.

My advice to you: go buy that bottle of whatever you've had in the back of your mind for years to try making, do some recipe trolling on google, and try a few recipes.  It's easier than you think.  Plus, if you spring $2-3 for some fresh citrus, it'll taste good almost no matter what you make :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment