I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.

Charles Bukowski

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Barware - Citrus Squeezer

I recently bought my own hand juicer. For several years, I've always just used a knife and my hand to squeeze out the juice whenever I need fresh lemon or lime. I don't mind washing off the juice, and I enjoy the tactile aspect of squeezing fresh juice for a cocktail.

Recently, however, I have been using a borrowed glass juicer. While it is easier to get the juice out of the lemon/lime, in the end it works less well. I never used to worry about pulp - which is one requirement of not using a juicer, you must be okay with suspicious floaties in your final concoction. However, as I have played around some with the texture of various cocktails (see Demon of Destiny for example), I sometimes want to strain out all of the pulp.
With the glass one I am borrowing, that poses quite a task. I use the barspoon to lift out the bigger bits, and then try to strain it through the spoon as I pour into a shotglass to measure. I usually wind up with either a sticky counter or no idea how much juice I put in.



This hand juicer gives me the satisfaction of squeezing the crap out of something - and yet the juice just pours right out, free of pulp. I hold it right over my jigger, squeeze, and then pour into the mixing glass. It's as easy as that.

If you run across one of these and you don't currently have a juicer of any sort, it's a good purchase - I got mine for $10, not the $13.99 + shipping on Amazon. Happy mixing!

1 comment:

  1. After reading this site I got lot of information about essential Stainless Steel Barware Julep Strainer.
    Barware Supplies

    ReplyDelete